Christchurch Daily Photo

A photo a day of Christchurch New Zealand

Christchurch Graffiti Art

September 27, 2007

urban-art.jpg

Graffiti. Art or vandalism? It’s a contentious issue, but if you were to contend that grafitti is in fact art, this example would certainly help your argument.

I’m not sure why, but I’m personally quite drawn to this type of drawing, perhaps its the vibrant use of colour.

The shot was taken from the Waltham Road over bridge which goes over the railway line. If you ever walk over it, look down and you will see there is a wall of quite stunning graffiti art running parallel to the train tracks. I also happened to find a great YouTube video of some Christchurch graffiti artists in action – in fact parts of the video look like they’ve been filmed near the the location of this picture (watch as one graffiti artist gets a little too close for comfort to an oncoming train).

Published on Thursday, September 27th, 2007, under Daily Photo

22 Responses to “Christchurch Graffiti Art”

1. iBlowfish says:

I have seen many graffities, but this is one of them I think is very interesting. Nice catch!

2. jane says:

i think this work is amazing, as is most thought-out graffiti work i see around christchurch – it’s awesome! i am a local artist (though my main medium is on canvas!) and i see so much value in a lot of the work i see around this city. keep it up!! but remember to respect others’ space (be it their graff work or the walls on a person’s small business) and always strive to discover and develop your own mana – it is in each and everyone of us.
    j

3. jasinda leigh says:

ayo…wut it du…dam i dunno buddah dis shit rite here wuz on n poppin. im luvin ur grafitti. lookin good lookin good

aw bawl wit da 21…
    laydahz

4. Darcy says:

Thats a choice graff!
    SYKES1

5. BIAS says:

this piece is sweede as bro

keep up the good work, but use sum otha kolors ae
    its ist 2 b a difrent pice to othas ae

but its stil sik as n keep ur flo on

6. crack says:

omg and 3 lol

7. banda_303 says:

ola a todos

8. dann420 says:

its a nice piece of work. it almost comes alive with the diff combos of yellow and the nice electric blue/purple outline. keep it up man – “you are what you want to be”

9. T-CAP says:

that iz a clean piece of work whoever did it!

10. Your Mom says:

cool picture

11. SKRUZ 1 ~ 303 says:

Nise Werk Sunn. . . Keep On Shinin

12. Gabrielle says:

Graffiti is art as long you do it lequally
    You have no right to destroy the look of public buildings
    without the owners permission.This is a crime.

I do love graffiti art on paper,canvass,wood in a gallery
    I,m over 60 yrs old but I love the complex words and colors
    they use.
    Please keep in galleries.

13. Gabrielle says:

Graffiti is art as long you do it lequally
    You have no right to destroy the look of public buildings
    without the owners permission.This is a crime.

I do love graffiti art on paper,canvass,wood in a gallery
    I,m over 60 yrs old but I love the complex words and colors
    they use.
    Please keep in galleries.
    my time is 10;16 a.m.

14. Insperator says:

dude you are so clean at what you do keep it up matteeeee….

15. AnounymouZ says:

wicked graff man. it’s hard to make wildstyle actually work. and as for the question, yes graffiti is a form of art. it symbolizes a freedom of expression that appeals to youth. but, since young people are usually the ones doing graff, it’s labeled as “vandalism”. don’t be a dumbshit.
    do your work the right way on the right, appropriate space.
    later.

16. B-i-n-a* says:

I really like graffiti and I was surprised when I arrived here in Christchurch that I can see a lot of Graffiti. Do somebody know where I can see more of them? I am new in town, so I would be happy for every information. thx.

17. cherie Spiers says:

Looking for a graffiti artist willing to do a mural on a double garage door… will be paid, but would like to see pics of what artist has done..

18. lillian says:

I think graffiti is an art so what if it is on walll where every one looks people that do graffiti know there
    bounderies it is also and amazing art that has so much meaning behind it

19. Brittany says:

This is a very interesting piece of graffiti. I like the colors that were used in it. I think that grafitti is a form of art as long as it is done legally, but people shoud abide by the rules that have been set. Grafitti should be done on the appropriate place and not destroying the look of a public building unless you have their permission to paint on their building.

20. elvis says:

of course graffiti is art… the idea that murals are not art because of their location and ownership issues of the walls etc is rediculous-

the stand out feature of graffiti is it’s freedom and self expression.

if you’ve ever painted a wall with cans (some walls you’re allowed), it’s such a freedom you just go nuts with out thought of limits or boundaries…

A+ on that art form!

21. Jon says:

Great piece! Thats the type of graffiti that alot of people like and appreciate.. Keep it up, the worlds needs more awsome artwork like this!

22. stillin says:

this is crazy good work, and as an artist and an art teacher, I say, check out Jean Michel Basquiat , who died in the 80′s from a drug overdose, but who we study in art when looking at graffitti….check him out.