A Photo a Day of Christchurch New Zealand

October Theme Day – Cemeteries – Barbadoes Street Cemetery

Barbadoes Street is the oldest cemetery in Christchurch, opening in 1851. It is the resting place of many of Christchurch’s early settlers, and sadly many of the gravestones are for young children (victims of epidemics). The cemetery is divided by a Street (Barbadoes) with Anglicans on the east side and Catholics (and dissenters) on the West side. The two pictures are of the West (Catholic side).

barbadoes-cemtery2.jpg
The ivy (pictured above) is just growing around a small collection of gravestones.

barbadoes-cemetery1.jpg

The following daily photo blogs are also participating in October’s theme day:

St. Louis (MO), USASan Diego (CA), USACleveland (OH), USANew York City (NY), USABoston (MA), USAMainz, GermanyHyde, UKArlington (VA), USACape Town, South AfricaSaint Paul (MN), USAToulouse, FranceArradon, FranceMenton, FranceMonte Carlo, MonacoMontego Bay, JamaicaAmpang (Selangor), MalaysiaJoplin (MO), USACottage Grove (MN), USABellefonte (PA), USAMexico (DF), MexicoSeattle (WA), USABaziège, FranceBaltimore (MD), USAChandler (AZ), USASequim (WA), USAStayton (OR), USAStockholm, SwedenAustin (TX), USASingapore, SingaporeGrenoble, FranceSeoul, South KoreaGreenville (SC), USAWassenaar (ZH), NetherlandsNashville (TN), USATenerife, SpainManila, PhilippinesKuala Lumpur, MalaysiaJacksonville (FL), USARiver Falls (WI), USAChateaubriant, FranceQuincy (MA), USARabaul, Papua New GuineaBuenos Aires, ArgentinaCrystal Lake (IL), USAInverness (IL), usaLubbock (TX), USAPhoenix (AZ), USAMoscow, RussiaNorwich (Norfolk), UKCrepy-en-Valois, FranceMinneapolis (MN), USANew Orleans (LA), USAMontréal (QC), CanadaWest Sacramento (CA), USAToru?, PolandPhiladelphia (PA), USAChristchurch, New ZealandLondon, EnglandPaderborn, GermanyThe Hague, NetherlandsSelma (AL), USASunderland, UKKyoto, JapanTokyo, JapanStavanger, NorwayFort Lauderdale (FL), USAWeston (FL), USAPortland (OR), USAForks (WA), USASaint-Petersburg, Russian FederationMaple Ridge (BC), CanadaBoston (MA), USASydney, AustraliaWellington, New ZealandMontpellier, FranceJackson (MS), USAWailea (HI), USAPetaling Jaya (Selangor), MalaysiaEvry, FranceSaarbrücken, GermanyNew York City (NY), USASanta Fe (NM), USANorth Bay (ON), CanadaMelbourne, AustraliaPort Vila, VanuatuCypress (TX), USASaint Louis (MO), USAParis, FranceSan Diego (CA), USAWichita (Ks), USAHaninge, SwedenPrague, Czech Republic

About the Author:

Michelle

Michelle is a Christchurch web designer and photography fan living in Christchurch New Zealand.

1. Kate on October 1, 2007 at 2:41 am

Your post is the first one I’ve seen today (our Sunday) for October Theme Day. Glad that medicine has progressed to the point that epidemics often can be contained.

2. Michelle on October 1, 2007 at 2:48 am

Hi Kate,

Check out Wellington and Sydney, they both have theme posts up too! That’s the cool thing about being in Australasia, we beat the rest of the world to tomorrow!

Yes, thank goodness for antibiotics. The gravestones made really grim reading (with families often losing three children in just a few short years) and far too many people dying in their 40’s or 30’s.

3. Zsolt72 on October 1, 2007 at 3:22 am

this is the first one I see on this theme day.:) Wonderful

4. Stefan Jansson on October 1, 2007 at 4:47 am

Interesting with the ivy growing there, never seen that at a graveyard before.

5. Michelle on October 1, 2007 at 5:05 am

The ivy gives it a bit of a spooky look, even though I took the photo in bright day light! While I was taking the photo a cheeky young guy walked by and asked me if I’d found any ghosts yet. My quick reply was “ghosts don’t haunt cemeteries, they haunt people”. Not sure I really believe that, though I have had a few ghostly incidents over the years! With the worst being a house built two houses down from another cemetery – the vibe in the house was awful, and I frequently felt like I was being observed. I even heard a voice one night.

6. Sally on October 1, 2007 at 6:17 am

Cemeteries are such great sites for exploring social history….and the graves of so many young children is always so sad. Nice pics.

Sydney Daily Photo

7. denton on October 1, 2007 at 6:51 am

My post will be from Christ Church as well. Just on the other side of the world.

8. Fénix (Bostonscapes) on October 1, 2007 at 8:04 am

Trying to remember where else I’ve seen ivy-covered graves before. England, most likely. Spring is in full force down there, isn’t it? 🙂

9. slinger on October 1, 2007 at 10:05 am

That’s been one thing that has spooked me and has made me thankful for being born this late in history. The young child deaths, ugh. In the cemetery I posted about, one family I believe had 4 children that passed under the age of 7.

10. Rich on October 1, 2007 at 3:42 pm

I like all of the green, from the ivy and springtime.

11. Olivier on October 1, 2007 at 5:15 pm

belle photo, j’aime beaucoup ces cimetieres abandonnés. on peut inventer des histoires.

beautiful photograph, I like much these abandoned cemeteries. one can invent stories.

12. soosha_q on October 1, 2007 at 9:30 pm

Beautiful shots!

STLdailyphoto

13. Randy on October 1, 2007 at 10:48 pm

Love the markers. Great shot.

14. Lynette on October 2, 2007 at 5:18 am

I like both of your photos. I find the ivy surprising, though, because it seems that it wouldn’t take long for the tombstones to disappear beneath it.

15. susan on October 2, 2007 at 5:55 am

I like the ivy, but It would soon take over. I enjoyed our trip to our cemetery. I lived in my town over 10 years and had never been there till now.

16. slinger on October 2, 2007 at 8:43 am

the ivy certainly makes for a different feel to the photo.