This is a marble statue of William Rolleston, located on Rolleston Avenue just in front of the Canterbury Museum.
“William Rolleston was prominently involved in the politics and administration of the Canterbury province. His most distinguished public position was that of the fourth and last superintendent of Canterbury. On the 26 May, 1906 a statue was unveiled in his memory. The Rolleston statue is situated on Rolleston Avenue between the Canterbury Museum and the original University buildings, now the Arts Centre. The positioning of the statue is significant as Rolleston was the leading political impetus behind both these provincial institutions.” Source: Christchurch Art Gallery