Sunrise at New Brighton Pier this Morning

nb-sunrise-sand

Several weeks ago I went to the pier (pictured) in New Brighton and managed to miss the actual bit of the sunrise where the sun looks like a big disk in the sky.  I was kicking myself. But I still got some nice pictures.  That day I promised I’d go back and try again. Well when I poked my head out the door at 6.30am this morning I knew from the clouds that I wasn’t going to get that shot today. But I went anyway, as I’ve discovered you end up getting unexpected but equally as pleasing photos.

It wasn’t easy getting this shot, it’s not the early start or waiting for the moment and the light, but the fact that not long after I arrived so did around 5 other photographers with their tripods and gear! At one point one woman actually came up and asked me if we were a club.  I had to wait quite a while for two other photographers to move on from this shot! I even took a photo of them as thought that would make an interesting picture as well (see below).

nb-pier-photographers

I ended up taking rather a lot of photos – so have created a gallery. I hope you like them, but secretly the gallery is more for me! The gallery contains one obligatory seagull shot (I couldn’t resist).

• babooshka
    8 years ago

These are sensational. I am not surprised so many photographers came. I would too. Incrdible light and colours.

Well, I can’t think of a superlative good enough to describe these photos. How about splendiforous!

Oh wow. The first is already gorgeous, but to get all the others — what a treat! They’re all wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

These are some of the finest photos I’ve seen. Great job!

• Absolutely stunning shots…

Wow, thanks for these extras, and the back-story. New Brighton pier is one of my favourite landmarks and as noted, the colours in these photos is terrific.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the lovely comments. These photos are examples of what you can get when you have beautiful light, and it makes me think twice at going out during the rest of the day! It could just be 6am starts from now on. Though as Christchurch moves into Autumn we get a wonderful dusk light in April which I’m looking forward to!

• michael
    8 years ago

Stunning – the girls got talent!

Thanks Michael, practice also helps a lot 🙂

• Catherine
    6 years ago

Incredible talent you have! Very inspiring photography. I live in North New Brighton, it’s so great that you decided to do this before the Feb earthquake! You’ve captured parts of Christchurch we will never see again! Can I ask what kind of camera you use? You have an amazing eye for photography. Brilliant!

Thanks Catherine for the lovely feedback. I use a Sony A200 DSLR which I find very good. I got it at Photo and Video International in Merivale a couple of years ago, and have been really pleased with how it has performed for me.