A Christchurch Fireman demonstrating how to put out an oil cooking fire. His advice was to put the lid back on it, call the fire department. As it will take 20 minutes for an oil fire to stop burning. He also used a wet towel over the top and then place the lid on. He kept taking the lid off to demonstrate how the fire just took off again. Quite a lesson to be learned here! Never ever leave your cooking unattended, seriously folks too many people die uneccessarily because of just this issue.
The lid goes off and poof! The flames ignite again.
On goes the wet tee-towel.
To show rather dramatically what can go wrong, a second Fireman poured cold water onto the fire (never ever ever do this!). Do this and you may win a Darwin Award.
On goes the water. There’s a very good reason he is suited up like that. I am behind a barrier about 6 feet away from him. I’m NOT using a zoom lens – when this happens!
It was rather hot! But I wasn’t moving, I wanted the shot. Now remember, never use water on boiling oil, cover the pot, call the fire department, and get out of your house.