Bellbird feeding in the Herbaceous Border, Christchurch Botanic Gardens

I went to the gardens with the intention of photographing the herbaceous border and getting some lovely flower photos. Well I achieved that and was about to leave when I saw something moving on the red hot poker plant. I was very pleasantly surprised when I spotted it was a bellbird. It was having a good old feed and was not the least bit worried about me standing just 6 feet away with my giant lens aimed at it. I had to look up my NZ Birds book just to double check it was a bellbird as it didn’t look as green as you often seen in photos. Apparently the female bellbird has less intense colour. The forked tail though confirmed it for me. Though I am not a bird expert at all, so if you think I am wrong please let me know. I don’t often seem them up this close so it’s hard to know for sure.

Did you hear it sing? If so, you would know for sure! However I am pretty sure you are correct.

No, I didn’t hear it sing. It was too busy scoffing itself! Then it flew away. I had wondered if it was a immature bird – as it looks a bit fluffed up and scruffy.

• Carolyn Collins
    6 years ago

I saw 2 bellbirds feeding on the red-hot pokers in the herbaceous border on Sunday, it was so hard to get a photo as they darted about so much. I didn’t hear them singing either but they were definitely bellbirds.

They sure do move around a lot! I must have spent at least 20 minutes standing in one spot waiting for it to rest and stay on a particular branch. It’s wonderful that we can go to our gardens and see these birds so close up.

• lynn
    6 years ago

Oh my! I love how she is looking straight at you, she seems very surprised to find you there!

Lynn, it did look a bit surprised to see me, but it was not shocked enough to fly off. Far too much dining to be had.