Christchurch Daily Photo

A photo a day of Christchurch New Zealand

Christchurch 7.1 Earthquake

September 4, 2010

Hi Everyone,

There was an earthquake centered about 30km from Christchurch early this morning and it was a big one – over 7 on the richter scale. I and my friends and family are all fine.  We are still getting aftershocks, and about 75% of the city does not have power.  I’ve gone to a friends house that has power, and can bring this update and photos to you.

The city is 90% fine – but some old brick buildings are very badly damaged, and some roads are cracked.  Lots of old brick chimneys have come down as well.  It seems to me that if you had a very old brick house then you’ve been affected the worse.

South of the Border on Colombo Street

Victoria Street, Christchurch

Victoria Street – has been badly affected with a number of the old buildings suffering similar damage.

Victoria Street, Christchurch

Victoria Street, Christchurch

Repertory Theatre, Kilmore Street - pretty bad shape

Tags:

Published on Saturday, September 4th, 2010, under Daily Photo

17 Responses to “Christchurch 7.1 Earthquake”

1. Emma says:

hey, Vic st really did get some of the worst of it! Have u seen the cathedral, is it all intact? BTW we also have power if you want to come over at any point.

2. bettyl says:

Glad to hear you are ok. The damage is quite amazing. Hope your power is back soon.

3. Randy says:

So happy to hear that you and your friends are ok. I heard about this on the news today. Stay well.

4. So do I understand you and your house is pretty much in a good nick, except that you don’t have power? I hear the weather has been good, which is a relief. I hope it doesn’t get cold tonight.

Kia kaha.

5. Michelle says:

The weather has been very good – warm and sunny, so have been out walking. Still no power (so at a friend’s again). Think we may be the last area to get power. The quake has been so random with its damage – most of Christchurch looks completely normal, it’s isolated pockets. Of course there will be lots of structural damage as well. Apparently there is a risk that there will be another big quake tonight. Fingers crossed it won’t happen.

6. Catherine says:

It’s very normal here in St Martins, except that we have a crack across our street that wasn’t there before, and a few houses had chimney damage. I didn’t go out to see any of the more damaged areas, as we were requested not to.
    Our power came on about 10 a.m.

7. Paul says:

I am pleased you are all fine after this. I heard the news on the radio and the world is a smaller place these days. Good that you have friends with power. The damage looks pretty bad even from the area that you photographed. Paul

8. Michael says:

Hello Michelle,
    Have been following the news and had to see what the real source of News had to say about it. I hope that things get back to “normal” soon! Thanks for the photos!

9. di says:

An impressive series of photos – and equally impressive, evidence of the rapid response … that guy with his City Care digger.
    Can’t help but think this is a slice of NZ history in the making – it’s a little surreal.
    Keep safe everyone – utterly amazing there has been no loss of life – and take care of each other.

10. Eric says:

Wow, I’m glad to hear you and your family are fine and also that the city did not suffer much damage. But still, like you say, 7 on the Richter’s scale is pretty high, so I suppose it must have been impressive. Hope the power comes back soon and that there won’t be big aftershocks.

Eric

11. Michelle says:

Power back on at home. Lots of after shocks. Watched the news and West and North of Christchurch are very badly affected. Very lucky to not have any damage at home, and we can’t quite believe that things didn’t fall down off the shelves at home except for one glass bottle (unbelievably lucky). Hoping for an earthquake free sleep!

12. Kate says:

You were indeed lucky, and your blogger friends are all thankful that you are safe and sound. The photos are excellent to show the level of damage. Hope all is well now.

13. Lynn says:

So glad you are well. My best wishes to all there. The pics are amazing and really useful to keep us in touch. Take care! 🙂 I am tweeting your excellent photojournalism.

Twitter: @LynnCherylEde

14. gerald says:

Thanks for showing us your photos – they tell us far more than the over-sensationalist accounts we get from the international media – all the best for recovery.

15. Jilly says:

Had watched it on the news and saw Michael told us on Facebook that you had posted. Good for you doing this Michelle. You must all be incredibly shocked. Amazing to hear no one lost their lives. what a mess tho. Great photos – thanks for posting and hope there is massive government support to get Christchurch back on its feet. I visited Christchurch some years ago when I judged a dog show there and have such happy memories of my time in such a beautiful city.

16. Lachezar says:

You are very brave, as these are very tough days for you.
    Please take care!

17. Kathy says:

So glad that you and your family are safe…clean up after a quake like this is tough…I hope all goes smoothly…