The day after the quake – old favourites still standing

The sign says it all

Apparently some of the coverage of the earthquake has been a bit sensationalist overseas.  I can understand why when they see the worst of the damage.  I didn’t know what to expect when I did my walk around the city early yesterday morning. I don’t know what I was expecting, but was shocked when I saw the extent of the damage to some of the buildings.  I walked around the streets with my partner (he was there to make sure I didn’t get into any trouble!). We were both stunned at how random the damage was.  It didn’t take long to see that the worst of the damage was not so random – it was old brick buildings that bore the brunt.  I was very anxious to see if New Regent street had been affected – it is one of the cutest streets in Christchurch and I love it. So I was most relieved to discover it intact.  I have no idea what the inside of the buildings are like, but the facades are fine – I didn’t even seen any cracks.

New Regent Street - Intact!

As we walked down New Regent we wondered what on earth the people in the hotel (bottom left of picture) must have been thinking – after all there was a giant crane right next to them!

I drove down Ferry Road today and it was an interesting contrast in what was fine and what was a mess. The building below has been marked a ‘no go’ area. Yet just 100 feet down the road people are sitting in the cafe having lunch.

Ferry Road
Smokehouse Cafe Ferry Road - Business as usual

One of my other favourite buildings is the Cathedral on Barbadoes Street – it seems fine (not sure about inside), but not even a hint of any cracks.

Catholic Cathedral on Barbadoes Street

I had coffee with some friends today and swapped notes on our earthquake experiences.  One of them lives on the West of Christchurch (the quake was centered 30 k west of Christchurch) and she said that if they hadn’t gotten out of bed they would have been thrown out of it such was the force they experienced – and she could barely make it down the hallway to collect her 5 year old (who bless him was still fast asleep!). Another friend lives in a central city apartment (sixth floor) and had quite an adventure – lots of swaying, lights out, and sprinkler system on.  She made her way out to the street in her pj’s to find a mix of sleepy inner city residents in their night attire and very confused and inebriated party goers wondering what the beep had just happened.  She’s now homeless for the week due to the flooding of her apartment. I live on the hill in the east of the city, and we are on rock.  Some friends were frightened for me, as we are perched on the hillside (kind of precariously), but we had no damage, and hardly any thing fell down of the shelves – we even stayed in bed during the quake going ‘gosh this is a long one – maybe a six on the Richter scale). Yet just a few kms away, people’s houses are being condemned due to the bad structural damage they have sustained (a lot of Christchurch was swamp or reclaimed land – and those areas have been more affected).  Many people have had their chimneys fall in through the roof with bricks lying on the living room.

So I have been very lucky and in my area (Mt Pleasant) you wouldn’t even know we have had an earthquake. Even the Ferrymead bridge which is about to be strengthened (cos they said it can’t withstand a big quake!) appears to be fine and is still operating as it should.

One thing about us Kiwi’s is it takes a lot to lose our sense of humour – need proof? Check out the Alvarados website (an ex central city restaurant as of Saturday morning).

We are getting lots of aftershocks – sometimes you can hear a roar before the jolt, sometimes you just get the jolt. The aftershocks are around 4 on the Richter scale. Needless to say we are getting just a bit sick of them. Though many think there is going to be another big one – at least a six.

It hasn’t really sunk in for me just the extent of the damage, and how it is going to impact on Christchurch. One thing’s for sure… the building industry will not be out of work for many years to come.  The central city is a no go zone, so it could be days before I can go in for a look and see the full extent of what is no longer standing. Very strong winds and rain were expected for today, but it’s nearly 5pm as I write this and we have no wind and some sunshine with some clouds. If we are lucky, it might just pass us (and I think quite frankly Christchurch could do with a break in the weather right now).

• Stacey
    7 years ago

Hi there – thanks for the update. We are travelling to NZ next Saturday and was not even sure we should still come. We were to stay in Latimer Square so I guess we make contact with the hotel in the next few days. Your photos are great.

Hi Michelle,

I live in Redcliffs, in McCormacks Bay, and our house is also untouched. It’s been a very strange experience for us as we only moved to CH in February and I’ve never experienced an earthquake before. We also stayed in bed wondering what was happening, not knowing what we should do! I think that I have at least prepared myself for the next one, although let’s hope it doesn’t happen.

We’ve just been out for a walk and the weather is great… but have you noticed the amount of strange clouds around? 🙂

Great photos btw.

Glad you are ok
    So sad to see so many landmarks gone in the city – Sydenham, the Repertory Theatre, Homebush to name a few.
    We are at Horseshoe Lake – even kept our chimney but a scary experience. Major cracks on our river frontage – just tired of the aftershocks now, but dreading the 6… or even the 8 we will get one day if the Alpine Fault goes…
    take care
    🙂

Ana – the strange clouds are prob because the Nor’West Arch is around – so getting warm weather before the cold southerly storm arrives…. the wind is getting up now!

Hi Ana, welcome to Christchurch, and sorry about having to experience an earthquake so soon after your move here. Trust me they are not that common here. You will get used to the skies here – they change quickly and are pretty awesome. We are having a nor’wester day, so Fi is right, we are getting the nor’west arch. The clouds you saw are by the way often mistaken for UFO’s!

Grade to here you are alright and great that most of the landmarks are still standing. My brother and his family live there too. He and his family are o.k.
    And thank you to do this posted. Please take care

Everyday Melbourne
    Everyday Shot
    Everyday Cat Visitor

• di
    7 years ago

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the Cathedral and the Catholic Cathedral have both, in recent years, undergone structural reinforcement to protect them against this very eventuality … must have worked … or perhaps it was divine intervention!

• Fantastic to get your firsthand experience – as well as the ace photographs as usual. It’s a real testament to ‘citizen journalism’ (or whatever you want to call it) that people such as yourself have been so much more reliable about reporting this event than the mainstream media. Thanks!

• David
    7 years ago

FROM USA:
    I visited a year and a half ago and loved your city! I am so sorry you had the earthquake and hope everything will be okay. You are in my prayers from Minnesota.

great sum up michelle. yep it seems everyone has a story to tell (to be fair ive documented mine – call it therapy! >> http://www.pogostick.co.nz/christchurch-earthquake-2010/)

love the photos. my wife works in lichfield st so shes been taken a few snaps of the inner city so will try to post them when i can

• I read a national daily here in Leeds today and there was a good sized photo of a car covered in fallen bricks etc. from from somewhere in Christchurch.
    I love the website for Alvarados restaurant you mentioned Michelle, I think perhaps that is the best approach to the situation that many now find themselves in. I just wish I could be one of their customers when they re-open.

So sorry about Christchurch. After talking to some friends and students. it seems the whole wide world knew about the earthquake when I was in bed.

Lets pray there won’t be another.