Ferry Road Dairy Mural

This mural is on the side of a dairy (a convenience store) on Ferry Road (not far from Moorhouse Avenue). I often drive by it and have been meaning to photograph it for a while as it always strikes me as being somewhat odd. Maybe older ladies in hats enjoy chicken and chips! Though I always think the one in blue is a man in drag! Apologies if the character bears any resemblance to anyone living or dead and I have just slighted your Mum!

I nearly chocked on my coffee whilst reading this post. But yes I do see where you a coming from.

Paul, oh dear, hope no coffee was spilled!

• Marion
    7 years ago

Unless the mural has been redone it was painted by Tim Croucher who also did the Dominion Breweries mural in Brougham Street and the wall of Perry’s Cafe opposite Polytech on Madras Street (the two welders).
    Tim also did the Mobile Library (sadly no longer in existence).

Love your photos – keep up the good work – better advert for Christchurch than any council/tourist spin doctor

Hi Marion,

Thanks for the positive feedback and for filling us in on the artist. I’m familiar with the Perry’s Cafe one, and had thought they were very similar in style.

• Chessa
    6 years ago

I have a bet with my husband…I have always thought the woman on the right was a depiction of a young Queen Elizabeth. Can anyone quantify or refute this??? A fish and chip dinner rides on the answers. Ta! Chessa

Interesting theory Chessa – am guessing the mural artist Tim Croucher could answer that one for us! Personally I don’t see the resemblance 🙂

• Claire
    5 years ago

I miss this mural, I always looked at it when I was a kid!
    I assumed the lady on the right had a Boston Bun on her head!

• Lynley Kerr
    5 years ago

Bronski’s Diary!
    This has just been rebuilt, so hoping theres to be a new mural as well.